Maybe its some long lost connection to my Italian roots (Pace – my maiden name is originally an Italian surname) but I adore Gorgonzola – actually crave it. So, this beet recipe that uses this yummy of all cheeses fulfills healthy and cheesy cravings. Beets are in my CSA right now. It’s one of those veggies that the more you get used to cooking it – the easier it becomes. A couple of options for preparation are:
1. Wash and place unpeeled beets in a 350 degree oven with 1 inch of water, covering with foil for one hour. Peeling easily comes off after cooling.
2. Wash, peel, cut into 1 – 2 inch slices and place in boiling water for about 30 Minutes.
This recipe uses the 2nd method.
Beet- Gorgonzola salad
- 4-5 Medium-sized beets peeled and cut into 2" cubes
- ½ cup Chopped walnuts
- 3 tbsp Walnuts, coarsely-chopped
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Frozen orange juice
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- 4 oz Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Place beets in saucepan & cover with water. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Place walnuts in skillet, reach toasting point, and stir in maple syrup until evenly-coated
- Whisk together remaining ingredients
- Pour beets into bowl, add nuts and dressing. Place in refrigerator until cool and add crumbled Gorgonzola.