In Texas, the trees got lost…….
Lost Pines, Lost Maples – where did they come from?????
Near Lost Maples State Park is the quintessential Texas town of Utopia. Recently my husband, I and our friends the Hurleys played 9 holes at the Utopia golf course – made famous by the movie starring Robert Duval – “7 Days in Utopia.” After all that exercise, we sauntered over to the Lost Maples Café. On the menu is one of my husband’s and my faves at rural cafes in Texas – Pepper Cheese Steak.
It typically is served with two sides and Texas Toast. This “steak” will make you feel like you are in Utopia – a comfortable place to be!
Utopia Pepper Cheese Steak
- 1 Pound HEB Grass Fed ground round
- 4 Slices HEB Select Sharp Cheddar Cheese Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 Jalapeno Seeded & minced
- 2 tbsp Onion Chopped
- 1 tsp Bolner's Fiesta Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 2 tbsp Texana Olive Oil
- Seed and mince jalapeno
- Chop onion
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and use two forks to mix
- Form into 4 patties
- Pan fry 5 minutes each side
- Top with cheddar cheese and let melt
For a fresh flavor, you can add 2 - 3 TBSP minced cilantro, but that is typically not in the Cafe model.