Spicy with cayenne, these crispy cheese crackers boast only five ingredients. And they freeze well to pull out for quick wine accompaniment.
Another Tyler Junior League cookbook recipe, this traditional southern fare is worth revitalizing when you have left over cheese that needs to be used. Or simply snag a 3 cup bag of shredded cheese.
I used a Mexican blend cheese, but you can get creative with cheese you have on hand. The intensity of heat can be adjusted as well by adding or subtracting cayenne. I have also thrown in red chili flakes in addition to the cayenne.
Don’t get caught up on the perfectness of each straw, you can buy that in a box at the store – celebrate your homemade spirit!
- 3 cups grated cheese
- 2 sticks butter (16 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- Cream cheese and butter together
- Add salt and cayenne and blend together
- Mix in flour.
- Place ball on parchment paper, place another parchment paper on top and roll out to about 1/4” thickness.
- Cut into about approx 4” strips
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes