Wine, mushrooms, and thyme combine for a meal worthy of your family or company!
Another Tyler Junior League cookbook rendition, I’ve prepared this dish for my family for many years and it always pleases. Here’s a hint, if you haven’t finished a bottle of wine in a couple of days, place the remainder in the fridge to use in this dish.
One frying pan does it all – from browning the chicken to making the sauce. Place the chicken in the preheated oven for about one hour while you relax with a glass of wine. What could be better?
Chicken in Wine - East Texas Style
- 3 pounds cut chicken pieces with bone and skin
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cloves diced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup red wine
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Salt and pepper chicken pieces
- Melt butter in skillet and saute garlic
- Add chicken and fry about 3-4 min on each side until brown.
- Remove chicken to an oven proof dish
- Add flour to butter in frying pan. Stir until smooth.
- Add stock, wine, thyme, and mushrooms and cook about 3 - 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over chicken and bake covered for 1 hour.