Stewed Tomatoes and Okra (with sausage and shrimp)
When I think of the foods I crave, there is generally a wonderful aroma connected with them. This dish is a delight to prepare and savor at the same time! Join Texicureans and Corey Benbow as we prepare this traditional southern African-American dish. And I learn an important food preparation hack!
Stewed Tomato and Okra (with sausage & shrimp)
- 2 cups Mahatma Rice
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 onion - chopped medium
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 package andouille sausage
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 bag frozen cut okra
- Louisiana hot sauce to taste
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- Rinse Rice in bowl or colander until water runs clear
- Add 2 Cups Rice to 5 Cups water in a pot, bring to boil, reduce to simmer, add stick of butter. Cook until water fully evaporates - (approx. 30 minutes)
- In a large skillet, add 1 stick butter and melt over medium heat. Add chopped onion and pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Add andoullie sausage and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add stewed tomatoes, stir in and cook over medium heat, covered for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cook fo 5 minutes, covered.
- Add cajun seasoning and hot sauce, stir.
- Add frozen okra to top (don’t stir) and cook for 7 minutes.
- Stir and cook for additional 7 minutes.
- Serve over cooked rice.