Mac ‘n Cheese – It’s classic; it’s comforting; kids as well as adults love it! By simply swapping out cauliflower for the pasta, you add nutrition as well as cut carbs. The cauliflower actually gives it a little crunch and it will still satisfy that melted cheesy craving.
In true Texas fashion, I like to add chopped jalapenos for that “heat” factor in your mouth. (Determined by how many seeds and how much membrane you leave). The dried mustard lends a kick without overwhelm.
I use dried onion flakes for easy preparation, but you can also saute ¼ cup of fresh red onions for a little color.
Try it! You may be surprised how you love it!
Cauliflower "Mock" Mac-n-Cheese
- 1½ head cauliflower
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1½ cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1 tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 jalapeno finely-chopped
- 1½ cup shredded cheese, divided
- Steam bite sized cauliflower in small amount of water for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Melt butter, stir in flour and 1/2 and 1/2 and stir until thickened. ( if gets too thick, simply add more milk)
- Add garlic, mustard, and onion flakes
- Add finely chopped jalapeño
- Stir in 1 cup of cheese
- Add in cauliflower and stir.
- Pour into an oven proof container, top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for 10 minutes.