Spring just calls for a coconut cream pie!
Until you’ve enjoyed a homemade version – you really haven’t tasted a true coconut cream. The coconut outshines the sugar to leave you satisfied without that sweet bite. This recipe doesn’t really take long: I buy the shells that you unroll and bake from the dairy section of HEB.
To increase the coconut flavor, I added 1/2 cup of coconut milk to the 3 cups whole milk. The pie holds up really nicely when sliced – making a lovely presentation. A dollop of whip cream completes the taste sensation.
Click this link for a short video on how to prepare
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 pastry shell
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 cups whole milk
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup unsweetened fine coconut
- 3 slightly beaten extra large egg yolks
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp pure almond extract
- Prepare and bake pastry shell
- Scald the milk in the microwave approximately 5 minutes
- In a saucepan, combine the flour, sugar, salt and coconut.
- Over medium low heat, slowly add 1 cup of the scalded milk, whisking constantly until thickened. Continue this process one cup at a time until gone.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of mixture into beaten egg yolks and whisk constantly. Pour this back into the pot.
- Stir in vanilla, almond, and butter.
- Cool mixture and pour into pastry shell.
- Refrigerate and serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream.