Sometimes a friend shares a recipe that just becomes a season favorite! This is it for me!
A few years ago, my husband, Barry and I were hunting on the 5F Ranch and the owner just happened to mention she was looking so forward to making her favorite fall soup the next week. So, of course I asked about the recipe.
Harvest Soup has a plethora of healthy ingredients that resonate with each other in a spirited sort of way. I would have never thought of including pinto beans in a soup with butternut squash – but it works beautifully, and for all you vegetarians – this soup fills the bill.
I use a vegetable broth to tie it all together. Here’s where you can add some creativity – either you use the minimum amount of broth for a super hearty bowl of soup; Or add more broth to thin it out and also make it go further.
I hope you love this recipe as much as do!
Follow Texicureans on YouTube for the latest!
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 3 cups pinto beans
- 4 cups orange and red peppers
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 3 cups butternut squash
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock (add more if needed)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp mexican oregano
- Dash of wine
- 10 oz greens - choice of kale, chard, or spinach
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, and garlic and saute. Add jalapeño, and continue to cook for a couple minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients except greens. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes until veggies are tender.
- Add dash of wine and additional broth if desired
- Stir in greens and heat until wilted.