Spaetzle – its a celebration of all things Octoberfest! Join me as we examine the many possibilities of this versatile German pasta. Think of it as your side dish instead of potatoes, pasta, or rice. It also can become a main by adding sliced sausage. My daughter-in-law adds sautéed mushrooms to excite her children’s palate. So, you may not be able to say it correctly (like me) but you can cook it up a storm and add a little diversity to your meals. Prost!
Creamy Spätzle with Sage
- 1 Bag Spaetzle noodles
- 4 Quarts Water
- 1 tbsp Concentrated chicken broth
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped sage
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream (whipping cream)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Bring 4 its water to boil. Stir in spaetzle, boil uncovered for 25-28 Minutes
- Drain in colander
- Melt 4 tbsp butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chopped fresh sage. Cook, stirring frequently for 1 minute.
- Stir in cream and spaetzle. Turn heat to low and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.