A few months ago, I took out on a hike with some friends to Lost Maples State park. My friend Susan provided the lunch, which consisted of egg salad sandwiches crafted from her neighbor’s fresh laid eggs. I had forgotten how much I loved egg salad!
Last week, my friend Katelyn invited me into her backyard to meet her chickens and she graciously shared a dozen of her fresh laid eggs. It was pure inspiration for this egg salad recipe.
This is Farm-to-Table month, and egg salad from fresh laid eggs couldn’t be more apropos. Simple, with only a few ingredients this salad can be served on a sandwich or on top of greens. A topping of sliced avocado adds a touch of perfection. You will love having this in your fridge for a fast lunch.
Texas Fresh Egg Salad
- 8 fresh hard boiled eggs
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 - 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 2 tsp fresh dill, finely chopped
To hard boil eggs
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with water 1/2 “ above eggs. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Cover and remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered for 15 - 17 minutes
- Place eggs in a bowl of ice water for 5 minutes
Egg Salad Instructions
- Cut peeled eggs in half. Remove yolks and chop whites.
- Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and salt & pepper to taste until smooth and creamy,
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Serve on crackers, bread, or over lettuce. Add sliced avocado on top if desired