This recipe comes as a request from my fitness coach, Jessi Prochaska at Lokal Strength. Her dedication to whole body health extends to the “fuel” with which we regenerate. This recipe checks many of the boxes for healthy eating and basically is a meal in a bowl.
Here’s to Jessi and my teammates at the “Lokal”!
Italian sausage, Kale, and Bean Soup
- 4 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb Italian link sausage (casings removed)
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 4 carrots, sliced (if organic, no need to peel)
- 5 oz shiitake or portobello mushrooms
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp fennel (rub between fingers before adding)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 heaping tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sage
- ½ tsp marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz HEB Organic bagged kale, roughly chopped
- 2 cans cannelloni beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans diced organic tomatoes
- 8 cups Central Market free-range chicken broth
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 8 slices sour dough (optional)
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and sausage to a large dutch oven or soup pot. Over medium heat, stir and break into smaller pieces until browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and spices and cook for about 7 - 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Mix in kale and cook until it starts to wilt - about 1 - 2 minutes
- Add prepared sausage, beans, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf
- To serve: ladle into bowl and top with parmesan