My friend M’Lissa Steel has deep roots to Fayette County. Her Great-Grandfather, William Loessin was Sheriff of Fayette County from 1925-1946. Even before that, her Great Great Great Uncle, August Loessin, was the Sheriff. My own Dad spent some time at the historic courthouse as a Federal Social Security Claims Representative as well. Walking around the square with her affirmed the saying is in fact true about everyone knowing your name in a small town. Hugs all around!
Best Little Cookie in Texas
- 4 eggs
- 2 Cups sugar
- 8 cups chopped pecans
- 2 tsp cloves
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp soda in a little water
- 1 lb chopped dates
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 cups flour (or slightly more)
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees
- Beat eggs well. Add sugar and stir. Add cinnamon and cloves. Stir.
- Add chopped dates, pecans, raisins, and butter. Mix well. Add Soda. Then mix in flour, a little at a time.
- Drop 4 -5 mounds on greased cookie sheet. Bake and test a few cookies to see if more flour is needed.
- Bake in slow oven - 275 degrees, 30 - 45 minutes. This will depend on size of mounds. Original recipe said 20 minutes, but this isn’t quite enough. Perhaps it was a wood burning stove originally………